Bug's to be fixed in next version

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Feb 8 16:45:16 EST 2004

On Sunday, February 8, 2004, at 01:51 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

> I don't think you're viewing the bugs correctly. Take a look at the
> email from Mark Chia called "Bug Database Changes Completed" - the
> "Target Version" popup is to be used for the version that a bug *was
> resolved in*, not the one where the bug *will be resolved*.

I read Mark's mail as saying the "Tqrget Version" as being set by the
assignee, in particular, when the bug is fixed.  The meaning of
"target" is key in that case.  At an internal interim release, the bug
is set as CLOSED.  I am assuming that the meaning of "target" is
dropped when a CLOSED bug is associated with a release that has
actually been released, that is, at that point the meaning is some
particular release not a future one or a hoped-for one that the word
"target" might imply.

That is, the meaning of "target version' depends on 1) whether the
status is RESOLVED/FIXED or CLOSED/FIXED and 2) (I think) whether the
specified version has been released.

Even so, there does seem to be a backlog of work to get the database up
to where it should be.  In particular there are a large number of fixed
bugs with a target of "---".  I feel confident that these will be
resolved and eventually bugzilla will be in sync.

Some time ago my father-in-law ran across some bug in Netscape.  I
checked on the mozilla fixes to get a clue and found that there were
two people fixing bugs each putting back the bug the other fixed in
order to fix his own.  That is unlikely on the RunRev team, but I think
the workflow closing step would minimize the impact of such a conflict.

Dar Scott