Manipulating Old Dates

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Feb 7 19:13:59 EST 2004

>What do we do with _really_ old dates, like weather logs from California
>missions 300 years ago?
>
>Ideas?

Ken:

So long as we don't predate the Julian calendar, Julian date handler
support is the first thing that comes to mind...by this I mean
seven-digit Julian dates (YYYYDDD), not the pre-Y2K five digit
(YYDDD) variety.

The best solution would be the present Transcript syntax with the
added smarts to deal with multiple centuries.  I could deal with
centuryCutoffs if Transcript were smart enough to convert short dates
with four year digits correctly.  Eg: with default centuryCutoff,
2/2/94 converts to 1994,2,2....  I would like it to convert 2/2/1694
to 1694,2,2... and allow "date math" (ie: adding/subtracting seconds,
minutes, hours, days, months, and years to the appropriate item in
the dateItem string) across centuries.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company