Puzzled about stack size

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Feb 7 17:26:33 EST 2004

>This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. A stack that was about 150K
>suddenly became 3MB. It turned out that I was saving all my logging data in
>a particular field and it was just growing and growing. When I cleared out
>that field the saved stack size returned to just 150K.

Likewise in durability testing SDB: inspired by a conversation with
Jacque Gay, I wrote an auto test handler that issues a random db
command every two seconds and logs the command and the result in a
field so there is an "audit trail" available for debugging.

Problem was (a) since I continually added to the audit trail but
never deleted entries, the test had to fail at some point by
exceeding max field size or max RAM available and (b) the failure was
generating a "connection is dead" message.  So I kept looking through
Jan's libIPC for "connection problems" that went away once the light
dawned and I added logic to remove the oldest line upon adding the
100th and subsequent lines.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company