Andy's comments and positioning...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Feb 7 15:43:22 EST 2004

Judy Perry wrote:

> But part of the reason why what you've said about educators (and
> probably alot of them in higher ed) is likely true is that they don't know
> diddly-squat about computers.  What's worse is that they don't want to
> know. As I keep hearing, "it's just a tool, like any other tool.  I don't
> need to know mechanics to drive my car so why should I know about hardware
> and software to implement computers in education?"  The people saying
> these things have Ph.D.'s in instructional design and technology.

Some of the toughest tech support I do is for HyperRESEARCH, popular among
academic sociology researchers.  I speak with a lot of doctorates and
candidates, and while they're all great sociology researchers their
computing experience varies broadly.  :)

> This is the problem.  After going through the trial-by-death of making two
> projects in Director and having received ZERO instruction on how to use
> it, these students-cum-teachers hate hate HATE authoring programs and
> revert back to the comfort zone of using PowerPoint and Producer.

Excatly.   There are great opportunities in education markets, but perhaps
few for scripting products.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation