Database GUI logic

hershrev hershbp at realtorsgroup.us
Fri Feb 6 14:26:59 EST 2004

On Friday, February 6, 2004, at 05:44 AM, Jan Schenkel wrote:

> --- hershrev <hershbp at realtorsgroup.us> wrote:
>> Hi every one.
>> What is the best way to select a DB record into a
>> form view window with
>> multiple fields ? (not with the db manager ,because
>> I don't want to
>> give the user access to the data itself to tamper
>> with, to avoid
>> corruption.)
>> Thanks hershrev
>>

> Hi Hershrev,
>
> Using the database-linked fields doesn't mean you
> _have_to_ update each field as soon as it is changed.
>
> Just link all the fields, checkboxes and option menus,
> but don't set them to update after editing.
> Then add a button, go to the Database panel of the
> property palette, and set its action to 'Update
> Record' -- and presto, when the user edits data,
> nothing is saved, until he clicks this button.

All functions work except update. (PostgreSQL)
How do switch between query's ? In other words once I need a SELECT and
sometime I need an INSERT and so on.
Also the bottom line about the same code needs to be written as put
revSelect(or Form)Query(......).into field a put
revSelectQuery(....).into field b and so on and then to write an UPDATE
SQL on all concatenated fields with revExecuteSQL and with some playing
around its also portable to different db's.
Or maybe to put all the info at once into a variable or an Array and
the select from it cell by cell?
> Hope this helped,
Thanks hershrev