When's the Rest of Dan's Book Due?

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Fri Feb 6 11:41:56 EST 2004

During MacWorld SF in January -- at which every copy of my book that
Rev could get to the show was sold by the third day -- Kevin and I
discussed the publishing plan going forward. I had been studying the
relatively recent development over at Adam Angst's TidBits operation
with some interest. (FYI, if you don't know it, they are publishing
small books focused on a single topic at $5 each and delivering in PDF
format.)

Kevin and I liked that concept a lot. And as you probably know I had
already anticipated releasing chapters of my book to those who joined
RevolutionPros.com at the Leader ($197) level prior to publication and
free anyway.

So what we've decided to do is to release the chapters of Volumes 2 and
3 incrementally. As I finish a chapter in draft, it will go to those
who are Leader level members of my online community. They'll give me
some feedback (hopefully) and then I'll do a final version and release
it for sale at something in the $5 per chapter neighborhood. My plan is
to release a chapter about every week or so, sometimes two in a week.

Then when we have a full book-sized collection of chapters, we'll
combine them into an immediately available PDF and Kevin will take them
to print for distribution in hard copy format.

This means you can buy only the chapters in which you are interested,
when you are interested in them. Whether you buy the full book
collection or not is up to you (unless, again, you are a Leader member
in RevolutionPros.com, in which case you get it free anyway).

Furthermore, I'm going to let the community help me decide the *order*
in which to release the chapters. I'll be posting a complete list of
the subjects on RevPros some time this weekend and allowing members
there to vote for which ones they'd like to see sooner than later. I'll
focus on those that get the biggest response *except* where I know
something about a future Rev development or a third-party product that
could change the chapter substantially.

So to recap: chapter-by-chapter electronic releases first to my
community, then to the community at large; books accumulated when
critical mass dictates and released first electronically and then in
print; order of things determined in large part by community voting.

First chapter for Volume 2 -- which will cover CGI development and use
-- next week.

Don't just sit there, revolt!