Tutorials or instructions on delivering MacOSX apps...

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Fri Feb 6 02:21:29 EST 2004

> >> Yes, but it does weird stuff- or used to at any rate: Like naming the
> >> executable "Revolution",
> > I can change this right now... ;-)
>
> That's an important one because if the app crashes, then the crash
> report will say "Revolution" and the user will be confused.
> CFBundleName can make MacOS display a different name than the
> executable name, but it's best to just name the executable correctly I
> think.

OK... I've done it.

> > and having the wrong (runrev's) copyright
> >> information.
> > Under what circumstances? Perhaps if you've left them empty?
>
> That could be it- not sure.

Well... that will be the case in the new DB anyway.

> > There are also many keys than can be in Info.plist that
> >> the Distribution Builder doesn't know about.
> > What do you need that the Distribution Builder doesn't know about?
>
> I'm not sure if anything should be added to DB. It could get
> overwhelming for the user.
>
> Personally: CFBundleIdentifier would be good to have.
That's not in the Rev PLIST...

 I thought it was
> important but I forget why. CFBundleHelpBookName and
> CFBundleHelpBookFolder are useful if you want your app's html help to
> show up in Help Viewer's library of apps.

I'd say there aren't that many users using the Apple help book format
because it's not cross platform. That thing's a slug anyway.

There are dozens of possible
> keys in the Info.plist; they get really obscure though. I bet the set
> that DB currently has is good for 90% of apps.

Hmmm 90%...

> > Yep it's easy to edit it in the PLIST editor or a text editor. In some
> > cases
> > you may need to set keys that the DB doesn't know about as identified
> > above.
> > In most cases you shouldn't need to though.
>
> And don't forget Property List Editor in the Developer/Applications
> folder.

That's what I meant by PLIST editor...

PS The new DB will let you choose a PLIST file as an alternative.

Cheers

Monte