Port Question

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Feb 5 21:51:39 EST 2004

Howdy List:

Apologies for interrupting the ongoing (and ongoing and ongoing) library
stack discussion -- just wanted to interject a question about
determining/establishing ports for communication using Rev.

What port/address combination would I use to allow multiple Rev apps to
communicate between two different firewalls?  I'm trying to establish some
simple app to app communication for a small game which could be played by
home user types who may have a router with NAT addressing.

After much script wrangling, I was finally able to get Rev to talk itself on
two machines behind *the same* firewall on port 80 (8080).  My extremely
limited understanding of ports and their numbers leads me to believe that
this port is not commonly blocked (though obviously it could be) and is
suitable as a default number (if not, feel free to correct me).

So let's say there are two machines behind the same firewall on one side of
the net, and two machines behind another firewall on the other side.  Do I
need to determine both the public and private addresses of all machines who
want to play, and then somehow combine the addresses into a single string to
address socket messages?  Or do I just need the public address for each
network (which I assume accesses each router) and then assume that messages
sent to port 80 will be forwarded to all machines on that network (who are
"listening" on that port)?

I'm sure this is mundane stuff for you nexperts, but I just want to send
some simple messages back and forth, and I'm getting a headache from all the
number permutations.  Thanks for any suggestions/clarification you can
offer.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director