Where goes stacks, included stacks and externals? (was Dialogs inlibrary organization)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Feb 5 17:38:45 EST 2004

On 2/5/04 4:14 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> On Thursday, February 5, 2004, at 01:14 PM, Rob Cozens wrote:
>
>> In my designs, a standalone generally starts using all libraries it
>> needs on startUp or preOpenStack, so the time taken to determine the
>> actual location of the libraries is factored into the "application
>> startup delay."
>

> OK.  So in the Chipp & Dar stack example, if Chipp's stack was to be
> friendly to this method, it should check whether Dar's stack is already
> in the libraries before attempting to start using it.

I am starting to lose track of what we are talking about, but maybe this
helps: you can start using a stack any number of times, but it only
actually gets used once. So it doesn't matter who starts to use what when.

The only thing that might make a difference is that each "start using"
places the used library script in front of any others in use. Multiple
"start using"s of the same stack can shuffle its position in the hierarchy.

However, if Dar's stack prefaces all its command names with "dar_" and
Chipp's commands all start with "chip_" then it doesn't matter which
library is in front, there won't be a conflict.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com