Where goes stacks, included stacks and externals? (was Dialogs inlibrary organization)

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Feb 5 15:14:38 EST 2004

>Is there a performance impact?

I have not tested the relative performance, nor have I used every
location: the generality is there because I designed Serendipity
Library should not box other developers into my way of doing it.

In my designs, a standalone generally starts using all libraries it
needs on startUp or preOpenStack, so the time taken to determine the
actual location of the libraries is factored into the "application
startup delay."

>if you got Chipp's Really Cool 3D Rendering stack that used Dar's
>Totally Adequate High Precision Decimal Math stack, how would you
>expect to use them?

I would expect that Chipp's installer would place the components in
their proper locations and/or the installation instructions would
address this.

OTOH, Serendipity Library is both translatable and open source; so if
Chipp's design forces placement of his stack &/or yours in a specific
folder one could modify the translation of the "PlugIn" or "Data"
folder names in the messages file; or, if Chipp's design required
more, change the logic of the library search handler.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company