Odd behavior on XP

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 05:27:07 EST 2004

At 1:53 am -0800 5/2/04, Geoff Canyon wrote:
>I'm searching for the inserted cd's drive letter on an XP machine by
>looking for a file on the cd using each of the drive letters in the
>volumes. On other PCs this works fine; on the XP machine it brings
>up an insert media warning/dialog for each removable drive that
>doesn't have something in it. Is there another way around this? Are
>others using XP seeing this?

I think it's been reported before. It's not limited to XP (I've had
reports from 2000 users) but it seems more common on XP. It doesn't
affect all machines. I don't get it here anymore but I did at one
time. Having a disk (any disk) in the drive will stop it happening.
Also, I heard of some theory that just installing more software (any
software) can help it go away. I tried that (installing a couple of
things) and it seemed to work.

Some voodoo going on, it seems.

Cheers
Dave