Where goes stacks, included stacks and externals? (was Dialogs in library organization)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Feb 4 22:26:08 EST 2004

On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 07:02 PM, Monte Goulding wrote:

>> On the other hand, one has to fiddle with the bundle anyway.  If
>> libraries are included in a build, they are put in the MacOS
>> subdirectory, which Apple has assigned for dynamically loadable stuff.
>
> Wouldn't you class stackFiles as dymanically loadable stuff? No matter
> what
> Apple says it's far simpler for Revers to think of the MacOS directory
> as
> the  application directory and put all our files there. Having one
> directory
> structure for OS X and another for all other platforms just doesn't
> make
> sense.

They already are different.  On Windows, stacks included in
applications are put in the same folder as the app, but on OS X they
are put down inside the applications.

I don't think Revers tend to think of their stacks in OS X apps as
necessarily MacOS specific.

This is related to the problem of externals and their stacks and their
relative locations.

Which brings up a question I've been wondering in general and that is
the location of stacks and externals.  Where?  And also the how of a
uniform way to reference them.

If the normal static reference to externals are used, the default
relative location of an external to its stack would normally be fixed.
If a stack needs another stack, that might be relative, too, but that
is less important.

So on Windows or OS X or traditional Mac OS or even Linux, where do
stacks for development, applications, or part of applications go?
Where do externals?  I mean by this, where do folks currently put them
and where should they go.

Dar Scott