Andy's comments and positioning...

Ian Wood ian at azurevision.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 18:47:23 EST 2004

On 4 Feb 2004, at 21:35, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Many of you already know this, but it's an interesting story
> nonetheless.
> Last year, I wrote ButtonGadget in about 3 weeks of spare time. I sold
> in on
> my website using PayPal for $20 a copy. In less than one year, I
> bought two
> plasma screen TV's with the profits. The program was written all in
> native
> Transcript. No DLL's nor externals. As a VB programmer, I can tell you
> there
> is NO WAY I could have developed such a product so rapidly, in fact, I
> wouldn't have developed ButtonGadget in either VB or C++ as IMO the
> return
> of time vs revenue would've been too risky.
>
> The reason I mention this is to demonstrate the incredible revenue
> potential
> for products developed with this product. I also could mention we're
> currently using RR to build a very large Enterprise Application for
> Homeland
> Security. It scales as well - from ButtonGadget to Enterprise Content
> Management Systems connected to huge databases. $99 bucks just doesn't
> cash
> in on it's value to me. And I really want to see Revolution do well,
> so I
> continue to be able to write these cool programs!

On a much smaller scale, I wrote QTVR2MOV in a couple of weeks with a
cover CD copy of Rev 1.1.1.  This is an app with very a limited market
(panoramic photographers who want video sequences from their QTVR
panoramas), as with ButtonGadget this sells through PayPal for $25 (was
$15 but that was a bit too cheap!).  Even so, four months later I have
a copy of Rev 2.1 purchased solely through its sales, plus some change.

Having looked at supposedly easy alternatives like Applescript Studio &
Cocoa, Revolution was a revelation!  Hugely cross-platform and so easy
to use that you get drawn into fiddling just for the sake of finding
out more about its strengths.

As Chipp says, it scales well.  I am now planning the media management,
archiving & data-input system for an ecclesiastical photography project
that will involve over 60,000 photos, panoramas, videos & audio
samples.  This should automatically generate XML files that will drive
a QuickTime interface for the web.

Ian

P.S. For a sneak peek at the QT interface go to:
http://www.ianjameswood.co.uk/lsp/
600+ churches in 3-4 years, if funding comes through.