optional fields in database frontend

Toma Tasovac ttasovac at princeton.edu
Wed Feb 4 17:57:28 EST 2004

This is an "architectural" question -- I am designing a mySQL front end
for a dictionary project.  The DB is highly structured and I am using
it as a TEI XML depository.

Each headword can have one or more homographs, and each homograph can
have one or more meanings.  So, let's say I have three tables: entry,
hom, sense (it's more complicated than that, but this is just an
example).  Each record in entry is associated with one or more records
in hom, and each record in hom with one or more records in sense.

What would be a sensible and elegant design approach to this in
creating a frontend app in Revolution?  How would one organize the
space, allow the possibility for the user to add a second homograph or
a second sense ONLY WHEN NEEDED, and keep adding them AS LONG AS THEY
ARE NECESSARY?  (it's really up to two or three homographs, but up to
10+ senses...?)

Any hints, examples, references etc. would be appreciated.

All best,
Toma