Application Generators

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Feb 4 16:50:26 EST 2004

>A project I have planned is to develop an application generator,
>such as an eBook Creator, that would compile a new executable,
>preferrably cross-platform.  What I am still hazy on is if I can use
>revolution to do this, both technically and legitimately.

Hi Again, Michael.

I think we need to blow some haze away to be sure we're on the same wavelength.

My supposition:

You create eAuthor, a standalone that produces eBooks that can be
read by eAuthor and possibly other apps.  The eBooks produced by
eAuthor are, in my layman's opinion, documents, not applications; nor
does eAuthor violate the Rev license.  (Remember, if I'm wrong, it's
you who gets sued.)

As opposed to:

I create appBuilder, a standalone that produces compiled applications
on all platforms that support Revolution without the developer having
to buy a Revolution license.  This is an AppGen application, and if I
were to market it without Revolution, I would cut a deal with RunRev
Ltd giving them a share of the royalties.

The principal difference in the two scenarios is eAuthor is an end
user's tool sold to people who make eBooks, whereas appBuilder is a
developer's tool sold to people who make eAuthor and other end user
tools.

As to feasibility, you may have issues, and I would suggest you get a
definitive answer from someone at RR Ltd before proceeding too far.
Then again, you may not:  If your application basically creates a
document where an author can place text, tables, & pictures, perhaps
checks spelling, supports text-to-speech, footnotes, automatic
indexing, hyperText, etc. you should be home free: you can create
stacks, cards, and controls from a standalone--it's just script
changes that are restricted.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company