Library stack organization and standalones

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Feb 4 03:43:51 EST 2004

On Wednesday, February 4, 2004, at 01:14 AM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> You said, "That is, the dialog stack would have the associated library
> stack
> right
> after it in the message path in development, but in the standalone, the
> application stack and other library stacks will be in between."
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. By using the start using command, it
> effectively
> inserts the script of the stack below the current stack script. Check
> out
> Richard Gaskin's excellent article:
>
> "Extending the Revolution Message Path"
>
> http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/
> revolution_message_path.html

Take a look at figure 2.  Ignore the top part.  In the lower part is
this:

Substack
MainStack
Library

Changing the mainstack of a substack of a library stack will change the
path for that substack.

Specifically, consider this in development.  The AppStack starts using
libraries A, B and C.

AppStack

LibraryStackA
LibraryStackB
LibraryStackC <-- LibraryStackC-Substack

Suppose I use LibraryStackC-Substack as a dialog.  It calls some
commands in its mainstack, LibraryStackC.  The path is this:

LibraryStackC-Substack
LibraryStackC
LibraryStackA
LibraryStackB

However, if the mainstack of LibraryStackC-Substack is changed to
AppStack in application building, then the path becomes this:

LibraryStackC-Substack
AppStack
LibraryStackA
LibraryStackB
LibraryStackC

Now 3 stacks are inserted between the dialog and its owner!

Am I misunderstanding what is happening in app building?  Is the
mainstack actually changed?  I'm just going by what the TD says about
the standalone being a stackfile.

Or am I misunderstanding where the library stacks go?

Dar Scott