Three-stage checkbox

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Tue Feb 3 15:38:51 EST 2004

I think someone else already voiced disagreement to the use of a
three-stage checkbox to indicate "Yes", "No", and "Don't know". I'll
toss in my two cents, as well.

For a three-stage checkbox to have a line through it, it indicates that
it encompasses some portion of both the Yes and No states. The example
given (by another) was the hierarchical checkboxes (like an installer
program). In the case of a "Don't know", it's -neither- Yes nor No.
Radio buttons produce the desired modality according to the Apple
guidelines (which *sigh* even Apple has partially abandoned).

Regards,
Barry