Three stage checkbox?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Feb 3 12:56:17 EST 2004

On Tuesday, February 3, 2004, at 05:26 AM, Björnke von Gierke wrote:

> Any form of one object having three stages is confusing and extremely
> nonstandard. Use 3 radiobuttons instead. Short description about how
> to do that:
> 1. make 3 radiobuttons, name them "Yes", "No" and "Don't know"
> 2. group them
> 3. use the "hilitedButtonName" of the group like this:
> put the hilitedButtonName into AnswerToThreefoldQuestion

The problem with the above set is that it does not give the impression
of "yes", "no" and "you haven't set this up yet".

I have seen this addressed with two radio buttons (or more) with none
selected until the user clicks the first one.  After that it works like
a radio button group.

I think this might be a hole in HIG, but others would know better than
I.

Another approach is to dim Done or Save until the user explicitly
selects an option.

All this assumes that there is something wrong with simply using
default values, which might be the case in some situations.

Dar Scott