Accelerator Keys for Button Menu Items Broken on Panther?

Ian Wood ian at azurevision.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 05:15:42 EST 2004

On 22 Nov 2003, at 05:14, Sannyasin Sivakatirswami wrote:
> I have a pulldown button "Find"
>
> with two items
>
> Find/F
> Find Again/G
>
> If one clicks on the button in Mac OSX  10.3.. the Cmd key symbol and
> letter "F" and "G" appear as expected on the item list. Trouble is,
> they don't work. They never did work for years in the IDE... and I
> recall at one point they did start working if you suspended the IDE
> from the Rev menus (I asked for that as a feature and it appeared to
> be fixed at one point)  and they did work for sure in standalones.
>
> but now, both the two latter scenarios are broken under Panther: the
> menuitem accelerator keys do not trigger the menu selection if you
> have Dev tools suspended and, worse, they now also don't work in a
> standalone built for Mac OSX

<snip>

I can confirm this with buttons as well as menus on 10.3.  Oddly
enough, mnemonics DO work on Panther, even though the docs specifically
say that they won't work on Mac OS.  This is in standalones as well as
in the IDE, but of course the letter isn't underlined.

I suppose a workaround is to handle the commandKeyDown message with a
series of if-thens for all the different combinations.

Can anyone else confirm this?  I can't find it on Bugzilla, but am
about to add it.  I find it absolutely necessary for any kind of
production app, so the workaround it is...

Ian