What does the IDE know that the standalone doesn't know?

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Feb 3 00:23:16 EST 2004

On Feb 2, 2004, at 7:33 PM, Doug Lerner wrote:

> This is a hard one to debug, because it works just fine in the IDE.
> But it
> doesn't in the standalone. Both OS X.
>
> In the IDE, I grab a video frame and create an image in a stack
> containing
> that frame. Works just fine.
>
> But in the standalone app, just a white image appears.
>
> I am including the video library ("other") and the video grabber window
> itself works just fine in the standalone app.
>
> Are there any general guidelines about what the IDE environment knows
> vs
> what the standalone app knows that might help debug something like
> this?

One thing that we run into as Rev developers is that the Rev IDE is not
really a discrete, separate app compared with the app under
development. This results in weird stuff where the IDE like "go
previous" opening up an IDE stack window instead of your app's stack
window. Or the IDE asking you if you want to save some stack that is
part of the IDE and not part of your app. Aside from this nebulous and
annoying problem, here are some things that come to mind:

- the "startup" handler is not called in the development environment,
but is called in a standalone.

- standalones have no error handling (see docs re: errorDialog message)

- IDE has all of the xml, database, video, etc. libraries already
available, ready to go, but in standalones you have to arrange it
yourself either through the distribution builder or through "the
externals" property or "start using" for library stacks.

I haven't used the videograbber tools at all so can't offer any ideas
on that.

--
Alex Rice | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com