Menus at Midnight

SimPLsol at aol.com SimPLsol at aol.com
Fri Dec 31 12:14:19 EST 2004

     From the date stamps on the email it appears that people have been
posting around the clock on this issue - including several nightowls here in North
America.
     I was busy elsewhere yesterday and did not have a chance to reply to
Richard and Chipp.

     Richard:
     I don't remember the exact recipe that produced the stack resizing
problems. I believe it was nothing fancy. After I found a work around I didn't look
back. From the number of posts on this list over the last year I'd say I'm
not alone. I didn't mention, as Ben did, the problem with coordinates of objects
changing depending on whether there as a Mac OS menubar present.

     Chipp:
     Yes, I did read your workaround (hiding the menu group, etc.) but by
then I'd found the "resize in openStack" workaround and was already implementing
that. I believe our two methods (and more, contributed by Sarah and other
users) highlight the problem. We can make   it work because we are clever (at
least you are clever) and we read the list religiously - but menus should "just
work".
     You quote Scott Raney as saying "engine bugs which had known workarounds
were lower in priority than others." This is one of the biggest philosophical
problems I have with Revolution. I would paraphrase it "good enough rather
than good". Of course serious, crippling, bugs need top priority but "Kludges"
can't be ignored - particularly on fundamental things like menus. And, it seems
to me, the Revolution team focuses more on exotic new features (which may or
may not work) rather than dotting the "i"s and crossing the "t"s in the
existing product - more people will use menus than unicode or SSL sockets or...

     We veteran HyperCard users tend to praise HC's simplicity, logic, and
easy utility. But I don't know of any HC users who commend HC's color tools.
Like the Rev. menu manager, they work (or can be made to work) but they are so
unrefined and temperamental that they depreciate the entire user experience. I
believe they helped solidify HC's reputation as an amateur and unreliable
product - despite the fact most other things worked brilliantly.
     I don't remember a complaint regarding Rev.'s color handling in two
years reading this list (there might have been one or two I missed, but I'm sure
it is safe to say there have been more comments on menus in the last week than
color in the last year). Rev. got color right! It just works. This is how
menus should be.

     In my experience, there are four things that drive a new Rev user crazy.
Three of them could be fixed rather easily. I think they all should have been
fixed by Version 2. The most important of these is the menus. I hope the
biocomputers in the mother ship are listening. I hope they read Ben's wonderful
post. I hope we are pleasantly surprised when Version 3 ships.
Paul Looney