Problem with field borderwidth 2

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 30 15:50:52 EST 2004

Wilhelm Sanke wrote:
> I still am interested to know if anybody can see this, too. It would be
> hard to believe that the problem/bug only appears on my XP computer - or
> only on a few with a similar configuration. But of course everything
> could be possible.

Welcome to XP.

Rev now supports native appearances for fields on XP when the field's
default values are left in place (borderWidth set to 2).  So what your
screen show at <http://www.sanke.org/RevTestPage/>  is showing is XP's
rendering of the field border.

You'll see a similar thing on OS X: while the appearance differs from
XP, when a field border is set to the default value of 2 OS routines are
used to render the control instead of the engine's.

I think this should be overridable.  Standard and Rectangle style
buttons also take on native appearances, but you can override this by
specifying a backgroundColor.

Perhaps we need a Bugzilla request so that if the borderColor is set the
OS no longer draws the control and it uses the engine's internal routines.

Please post the bug number after you log it so we can vote for that
enhancement.

In the meantime a workaround is to set the style of the field to
"shadow" instead of "rectangle" or "scrolling", and then to prevent the
shadow from drawing set its shadowwidth to 0 (zero).  Shadow-style
fields are always drawn by the engine, so you should get what you're
after with those.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation