questions about recording audio

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 30 01:51:49 EST 2004

Three questions about recording audio:

 > 1. Support for new compressors?
The recordCompressorTypes property returns a list of available
compressors that includes items (like MPEG-4) which are not shown in the
"answer record" dialog.

Since the "answer record" command calls QT to bring up its dialog, why
aren't all of the available compressors shown?

 > 2. How to determine format/compressor compatibility?
The docs say:
    Not all sound file formats are compatible with all
    supported codecs. If you try to record sound using
    a recordCompressionType that is not compatible
    with the recordFormat, the compression type will
    be changed automatically to a codec that is
    compatible with the specified recordFormat.

How can I determine which compressors are available for which formats?

 > 3. Updating options in the "answer record" dialog
If I change the recordFormat and then call "answer record", it always
displays the same list of codecs.

Is there a way to have the "answer record" dialog only show options
relevant for the current recordFormat?

TIA-

--
  Richard Gaskin