Random Name Generator

James Cass cassj at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 29 21:01:07 EST 2004

Robert -

Ken just showed you how easy it is to get things done with Rev.  If you
wanted to try your exercise another way, just for understanding the
programmatic steps needed to get your result, you could break it down
like this (this code goes in the script of Ken's "Go" button):

	on mouseUp
	  --  Ken's example.  Revolution makes it easy to pick a random item
from the list.
	  --put any line of field "User Names" into field "Selected User"

	  -- Old school with a Rev twist
	  set lineDel to return  -- set the line delimiter
	  put the number of lines of fld "User Names" into numNames
	  put random(numNames) into randNum  -- pick a random line number from
1 to the number of names
	  put line randNum of fld "User Names" into fld "Selected User"
--show a random name from the list
	end mouseUp

Ken's method is much more compact of course.  :-)

Hope this helps....James
When mind control works,
you won't know it.