menu woes...

SimPLsol at aol.com SimPLsol at aol.com
Wed Dec 29 20:36:26 EST 2004

In a message dated 12/29/04 16:51:27, ambassador at fourthworld.com writes:

> taxonomy

Richard,
I agree with you that a good taxonomy for the current documentation would
help. My experience with Rev. is that there is good intermediate help and good
advanced help but weak beginning help. Even Dan's book is post-beginner. And
that's alright if there was good coverage of the basics elsewhere.
Incidentally, the stack you and I were working on was Contacts; Jeanne and I
worked on Schedules; different issues. One of the bizarre things in Contacts,
if you remember, was the fact that it had two menus (one of which was the
original HyperCard background!). The documentation could not have anticipated
that. Besides, my complaint in not really with the documentation. If menus could
be implemented in a more reliable way, LESS documentation would be required.
I think there are different levels of documentation. There is the "final",
"this is how it is supposed to work" docs. and "working" docs. which guide one
around the pot holes until they can be fixed. The first type exists. This list
takes the place of the second - but the list doesn't get summarized in one
convenient place that has a list of problems (call them FAQs) and proposed
workarounds. Consequently, people ask the same questions again and again; if you
don't follow the list daily you can miss problems and solutions; it is hard to
find answers to old questions.
Paul Looney