menu woes...

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Dec 28 19:44:53 EST 2004

Chipp-

CW> Now, when I go to the Mac, it cuts off the top of the interface (which I
CW> NEED). If I set the height of the stack on a preOpenStack handler after
CW> the obnoxious resizing, it only adds space to the bottom...I still don't
CW> see the top. I know there must be a simple way to just add a menubar on
CW> a MacOSX application w/out having to butcher my stack? I just don't know
CW> what it is. I don't want to rewrite all the Geometry Mgmt and redesign
CW> this project...all I want to do is what I've always done in SuperCard
CW> and HyperCard--namely add a menu to a Mac application.

I have stopped using menus in my apps because of this wherever
possible. If you don't need to have the menu be the system menu in OSX
then uncheck that and your menus should work fine. But if you *do*
want to do the Mac Thing and have your menus replace the system menu
while your app is active, then you have to expect that the upper part
of your visible stack will be hidden behind the system menubar. Or you
can have a Windows version of your app and an OSX version.

As far as I know, there's no easy way out. Menuing is just broken. You
have a choice: have extra blank space at the top of your Windows app;
do without OSX system menus; or have two separate builds.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net