identify broken images

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Mon Dec 27 06:57:40 EST 2004

Hi Claus,

alles frisch? :-)

> Hi,
>
> i have a small problem i don't see a simple solution for.
> Maybe someone here has one.
> I want to display JPGs from file, so i make a
>
> put URL ("binfile:" & my_file) into image "im_1"
>
> This is working OK.
> But when the JPG in the filepath my_file is faulty (broken download or
> something)
> The above line displays an empty image "im_1".
>
> I now want to identify these faulty images.
> I tried the following with no result:
>
> if the imagedata of image "im_1" is not empty then ...
> if image "im_1" is not empty then ...
> if the length of image "im_1" > 0 then ...
>
> Has anyone an idea how to identify an "empty" image?
> (its not realy empty but nothing is displayed)

I don't think there is a built-in solution for this problem...

A long time ago i godzillad this issue, since you even can:

set the filename of img 1 to "../folder/word.DOC"

without problem, the result is empty!
...and you end with a lovely grey image :-(

But somehow the RR crew did not (want to?) understand this issue and
closed it!!!

See bug 762, marked as "Resolved/Not a bug"...
And the workaround does NOT work!
The formattedheight/-width does NOT report 0!!!!!

(But sometimes i am NOT in the mood to "fight for my right to
paaaaaaaarty!" :-)

There may be a chance to use Trevor's QuickTime External to check if QT
can open that file
but that may not help, if you are on *NIX or cannot use QT for whatever
reason...

Sorry for the bad news...

> Regards,
> 	Claus.