Adventure Games with Revolution

sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sat Dec 25 16:08:31 EST 2004

Marty Billingsley wrote:

> My students create games every quarter

Alejandro Tejada asked:

> Wow! A whole class making Creative Multimedia!!!
> (snip)
> I feel compelled to ask, but is the University
> of Chicago managing high schools too?

Marty Billingsley answered:

> Ummm....we're an N-12 school, founded by John Dewey
> over a century ago to explore new methods of
> teaching.  We're more independent from the University
> than we used to be, but were never "managed" by
> them in the modern sense.  We're less exploratory
> and more college prep than in days gone by, but
> still do some fun things with curriculum.
> www.ucls.uchicago.edu if you're interested.
>
> cheers,
>   - marty
>
> Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
> The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools

May I add the remark that John Dewey, philosopher and educator (among his books
"Democracy and Education"), who founded the Laboratory School in 1896, also
developed - together with Kilpatrick - the "project method", applied now in
schools around the world and especially in the U.S.A.
In this sense Marty Billingsley with his "game projects" is acting in the best
tradition of John Dewey and "progressive education" of which Dewey was a part.

Concerning cooperation or symbiosis between universities and high schools that
extend beyond "dual enrollment" there are quite a number of examples, among them
"Boston University Academy", where the Vice-President of the university is
principal of the high school at the same time (at least he was last time when I
visited there).

Also make a search for "Middle College Schools", which are meanwhile rather
widespread.

--Wilhelm Sanke
<www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>