monks demo error -- atten: Mark Waddingham

Brian Thomas runrev at rivertext.com
Wed Dec 22 23:04:36 EST 2004

>Message: 14
>Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:22:55 +0000
>From: Alex Tweedly <alex at tweedly.net>
>Subject: Re: the secrets of Monks
>

>Looks pretty good - but I had rather mixed success trying to run it on
>Win XP.
>
>1. If you run it from the Dreamcard Player, it fails pretty thoroughly.
>NO images are shown - so almost nothing can be done. Even the "quit"
>button is invisible, so unless you happen to know where it is, you are
>stuck. (The "Close" button in the menu bar is disabled - so there is no
>way out except Ctrl-Del-Alt and terminating the program.)
>
>I'm guessing this is because of BZ 2294 (there is no defaultFolder when
>running in Dreamcard Player).
>
>2. If run with the Rev (2.5 Dreamcard - but full Rev, not Player) engine
>by double-clicking the stack, the cursor is invisible. I reported this
>as BZ 2138 (though I thought it was only Dreamcard Player it happened in
>- but I am 99.99% sure this happens with the Monks stack in the full Rev
>engine; there's just a .001% chance I'm picking up the wrong engine by
>mistake - I'm running it via right-click, Open with ... and selecting
>the engine within the Rev 2.5 folder).
>
>3. If I run Rev, then open the stack within that - it's great !! Thank You !
>
>-- Alex.

Thanks Alex,

Before sending to Runtime Revolution I tested it in Windows XP ONLY
by opening it the way you did in number 3 -- opening Rev. first.

I had included a READ ME file that I asked Mark Waddingham to remove
that explained how to get it to work despite the problems you
mention. It read like this:

In order for this stack to work it AND its "data" folder must be in
the same folder as the Runtime Revolution application you are using
to view it. You could browse this stack with either the DreamCard
player, DreamCard, or Revolution.  Drag "monks.rev and the "data"
folder out of this folder and into the folder for the Runtime
Revolution application you are using to view it.

If you already have a "data" folder in that application then
separately drag the monks.rev file into the Runtime Revolution folder
and then drag the two folders inside my "data" folder into your
already existing "data" folder.

----

Then Richard Gaskin re-wrote the script he wrote for Monks to create
a path. This is the script:

on preOpenStack
   put the filename of this stack into tPath
   set the itemdel to "/"
   delete last item of tPath
   set the defaultfolder to tPath
end preOpenStack

So now you're telling me that this script won't work in Dreamcard and
there is no way to fix it. -- I have to ask Mark to put the Read Me
back in? --

I tested it on Rev & Dreamcard but now I see that I still had the
files in the correct position in the Dreamcard player folder and so
it only appeared to be working.

This whole thing seems like a major flaw in Dreamcard. Do you expect
everyone to make little stacks with it that don't need to have their
files kept externally?
--
Brian