the secrets of Monks

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Dec 22 18:22:55 EST 2004

Brian Thomas wrote:

> At last, the conclusion to the longest running project in the history
> of interactive media. Thanks again to everyone who helped build the If
> Monks had Macs (or Windows) library.
>
> Runtime Revolution has just released a stack of scripts and tips as to
> using Revolution/Dreamcard for multimedia. The stack may not be of
> much help to the wizards on this site who have been so helpful to over
> the years that I have been working on Monks. Nonetheless, it is a good
> resource for you to know about and point out to new multimedia
> developers. And the stack does share a wonderful technique that Jeanne
> A.E. deVoto worked out for me so Monks could display life-size (museum
> sized) paintings on small computer screens. You can download the
> demo/codeshare tutorial through revOnline or by using this link:
>
> http://revonline.runrev.com/resources/coding/monks-demo.zip

Looks pretty good - but I had rather mixed success trying to run it on
Win XP.

1. If you run it from the Dreamcard Player, it fails pretty thoroughly.
NO images are shown - so almost nothing can be done. Even the "quit"
button is invisible, so unless you happen to know where it is, you are
stuck. (The "Close" button in the menu bar is disabled - so there is no
way out except Ctrl-Del-Alt and terminating the program.)

I'm guessing this is because of BZ 2294 (there is no defaultFolder when
running in Dreamcard Player).

2. If run with the Rev (2.5 Dreamcard - but full Rev, not Player) engine
by double-clicking the stack, the cursor is invisible. I reported this
as BZ 2138 (though I thought it was only Dreamcard Player it happened in
- but I am 99.99% sure this happens with the Monks stack in the full Rev
engine; there's just a .001% chance I'm picking up the wrong engine by
mistake - I'm running it via right-click, Open with ... and selecting
the engine within the Rev 2.5 folder).

3. If I run Rev, then open the stack within that - it's great !! Thank You !

-- Alex.