testing for Internet connection

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun Dec 19 15:01:36 EST 2004

Alex,

You are correct in that if Dns is down then my function will return
false, exactly how I wish it to work.

All my apps connect to domains, not IPaddresses, so a positive
connecting to an IPaddress wouldn't explain to my users why they cannot
connect to a domain.

Perhaps a combination ping then get url may suffice. I've over 10 apps
testing with google, with no problems so far. I imagine google can
withstand a dos better than my servers.