testing for Internet connection

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 18 15:06:25 EST 2004

On Saturday, December 18, 2004, at 11:46 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> There have been many posts here over the last couple years about
> various methods of having an app test to see if it has an Internet
> connection available, but for every suggestion I can find in the
> archives there's a subsequent post explaining why that method isn't
> optimal or in some cases even reliable.
>
> What is the recommended method of testing for an Internet connection?
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin

Richard,

I have my recommendation to myself that I use for best practices for my
needs. I need my users to be able to get many files from my website so
I have my standalone app get a very small text file just to see if it's
working. If it tests out as returning it then the connection is active.
This is not best for when it might time out but the connection to my
other files would time out as well in that case.

Mark