Improper code or a bug in Revolution?

Silver, Jason jsilver at qualcomm.com
Thu Dec 16 15:32:50 EST 2004

Hello all,

Several weeks ago I posted to the use-revolution list to ask for advice
on making transparent buttons, used in a handset simulation.  I'd like
to thank all of you who replied to my posting; the Revolution developer
community is a very friendly and helpful place!

Now, onto my question.  I seem to have hit a roadblock with the
simulation, and unfortunately I cannot open my sim stack without
crashing Revolution.  I had two snippets of code in the sim, but I'm
fairly sure they wouldn't have caused problems.  The first bit was in my
main stack "Handset simulation", used to find out how many cards I had
in a sub-stack, named "Contacts" (this would be the database for the
address book application):

on OpenStack
  global numberOfAddressBookEntries
  get the number of cards of the stack "Contacts"
  put it into numberOfAddressBookEntries
  --Testing statement:
  answer "The number of address cards is " & numberOfAddressBookEntries
end OpenStack

The other bit of code was with my transparent buttons.  They were in a
group called "Keypad", and I was trying to script the group instead of
each individual button:

on mouseUp
  -- copy the label of the button clicked on into the buttonPressed
variable
  put the label of the target into buttonPressed
  -- Testing statement:
  answer buttonPressed & " has been pressed!"
end mouseUp

Everything seemed to work fine, but I think a problem occurred after
installing Devolution.  I fooled around with the "Explicit variables"
option, which led to this disaster.  I uninstalled everything,
reinstalled Revolution (still on trial, waiting for the company to
purchase a license), and now I get these errors:

http://img91.exs.cx/img91/7342/reverror27qo.png
http://img11.exs.cx/img11/145/reverror14qp.png

It looks like something is messing with the license.rev file.  Two
interesting things to notice:
- In the Application Browser window, my "Handset Simulation" stack
doesn't even show up.
- The error dialog that appears changes, and I have no idea why.
If explicitVariables was even set to "true", I haven't figured out any
way to get into the stack to edit the script.  I find it hard to believe
that a badly written stack can bring down the entire IDE.  Is my stack
hosed?  Where do I go from here?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Jason Silver