Dreamcard Player - help

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Dec 15 07:44:33 EST 2004

At 20:26 14/12/2004 -0800, Mark Stuart wrote:

>Frank,
>There are differences between the two computers.

summarized ... these are

home vs work
developer vs player
no QT vs QT
MAForums OK (dev & player)   vs  - MAForums not OK
(i.e. does open, but does not return data to the form from the MA Forum,
when clicking on the Load button.)

Given that set of differences, and a problem with an app that retrieves
stuff from the Internet, my first guess would be a corporate firewall
issue.  I haven't looked at the app (couldn't see it on Sarah's site from
the description - could you give me a URL please). But even if it "only"
does HTTP "get"s, it's possible to get firewall problems.

If practical, I'd try to eliminate that as a potential problem first. If
you can (i.e. it's a laptop, and you're allowed), take the home machine in
to work and try it there. Or, install the 10-hour Dreamcard developer trial
at work and see if it then works OK.

>Not sure why the Quicktime would make a difference - whether installed or
>not.

Almost certainly doesn't in this case - but there are quite a lot of stacks
(mostly developed on Macs) that just assume it will be there (safe on a
Mac, very wrong on Windows), so it's a common cause of problems that happen
on some machines and not others.

-- Alex.