record sound & send via sockets

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Dec 14 15:33:53 EST 2004

On Dec 14, 2004, at 11:23 AM, sims wrote:

> The goal is to be able to have a voice chat instead of a text chat.
>
> Any general suggestions?

There does not seem to be a streaming sound recording I/O capability.
(Maybe there is something in the video libraries, I don't know.)

Revolution does have the ability to record to a file.  (Not a variable,
as far as I can tell.)  This recording is started with a command and
stopped with a command.  I assume you can be recording to only one file
at a time.  If that assumption is false, then you have more options.

A simple (and maybe too crude) method might be to have mic button as in
half-duplex radio.  The mouseDown event could start recording and
mouseUp could stop it and send off the sound.  This does not have to be
half-duplex; the speaker could send sentences and receive sentences.

One problem is that the sound is delayed.

One way to avoid the delay is to record in small chunks and send that.
I would expect you will get big parts missing and nasty clunk sounds.

Maybe it is possible to read the file as it is being recorded and send
portions.

Communication needs to drop frames if the pipe gets too clogged.

It might be there is some command-line app that can do all the work and
meet some standard and then all you have to do is control it.

These are very general.  Perhaps these are suggestions.

Dar Scott