Connecting to PostGreSQL on same machine: Mac OSX

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Dec 11 23:20:57 EST 2004

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery
katir at hindu.org

www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
www.HinduismToday.com
www.Gurudeva.org
www.Hindu.org
On Dec 11, 2004, at 6:38 AM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:

> You shoud note that the server is not one of the "My Processes" in the
> activity monitor.  Show "Other User Processes" or "All Processes" and
> a process name of "postgres" should be listed three times.

;-) "such a novice am i"

OK great, yes: "Other User Processes" show three  and Andre's console
test:

Last login: Fri Dec 10 18:24:45 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
[katir:~] katir% ps -auxc |grep "post"
postgres  5559   0.0  0.1    38040    980 std- S    Fri03PM   0:00.07
postmaster
postgres  5562   0.0  0.0    35308    184 std- S    Fri03PM   0:00.00
postgres:
postgres  5563   0.0  0.0    34320    272 std- S    Fri03PM   0:00.01
postgres:
[katir:~] katir%

shows we are indeed up and running, as we suspected since all things
are working from the cmd line.

> I find it highly unlikely that the server is not running if you were
> able to execute a query; being able to communicate with the server is
> generally an indication that it is running ;-)
>

>>> just the tcsh shell I have open to talk to Postgres...
>>>
>>> And also, in rev, this fails:
>>>
>>>  put
>>> revOpenDatabase("Postgresql","localhost","katir_test","postgres","myP
>>> assWord")
>>>
>>> could not connect to server: Connection refused
>>> 	Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
>>> 	TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>>
>> About the TCP/IP connections, they are set by default for the
>> localhost only (and it enought to feet the app server needs..). You
>> can if needed tune this in modifying the needed line in the
>> "postgresql.conf" file.
>
> No, this is *not* the default for the current release versions of
> PostgreSQL.  By default, TCP/IP connections (the only kind you can
> make to PostgreSQL through Rev) are disabled.  You need to make
> changes in two files in the data directory of PostgreSQL:
>
> You need to enable TCP/IP connections in postgresql.conf, and you need
> to configure your authentication settings in pg_hba.conf.
>
> This is not described on the page listed below, but is mentioned in
> the PostgreSQL documentation; for details see:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/client-authentication.html

Thanks... I'll check it out and let you all know what happens.

Aloha,