interesting patent

Meitnik at aol.com Meitnik at aol.com
Wed Dec 8 13:27:58 EST 2004

U.S. Patent Awarded for Pageflex's Flexible Template Technology

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)----Pageflex (NASDAQ:BITS)
(www.pageflex.com), the leading provider of variable data publishing and Web-to-print
technology, today announced that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has awarded a
patent for Pageflex's flexible template technology.

 Pageflex template technology enables a document layout to "flex,"
accommodating variable content within sophisticated designer-specified guidelines. The
Pageflex XML-based composition engine handles page content (text and images)
separate from page form (layout). When the length or size of custom content is
different than the size of the box the content is flowing into, the box can
expand in either the horizontal or vertical direction (or both), to accommodate
the content. Designer-specified rules determine the maximum and minimum
dimensions, as well as behavior of the surrounding elements on the page. The result
is the ability to define sophisticated templates that accommodate a wide range
of variable content by flexing the page layout. Pageflex's U.S. patent
includes all of these capabilities as well as additional claims for related
capabilities.

 "Pageflex solutions are founded on our unique flexible template technology,"
said Anna Chagnon, Pageflex CEO. "Receiving this patent is an important
milestone as we accelerate on our growth plan, ensuring protection for our
innovations that help our customers compete successfully."