screen resolution problems

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Tue Dec 7 13:57:58 EST 2004

 From a development perspective, both solutions are less than desirable:

1. Rev does not like to have the screen resolution changed while
running; this is an engine flaw (one might say limitation, but since
Apple's HI guidelines, and M$'s as well I think, make specific
statements that programs should be prepared to deal cleanly with
changes in the screen resolution while running, it is *quite* a
limitation), so it applies to all standalones as well.  While it may be
possible to use a script to change the screen resolution, this may not
be desirable, and the standalone may not work correctly.  Any comments
here?  Has anyone actually tested Rev's (or a standalone's) behavior
when the resolution changes midstream?  See the docs for the screenRect
function for more details.

2. Depending on how your card was designed, reducing the size of the
stack may require you to redo the layouts of some, many, or all objects
on each and every card (but ultimately it would work)...  Suggested new
stack sizes: 720x460, 790x504

The easiest option is to change the screen resolution of those
computers *before* starting your program.

The "best" option (depending on your situation) would likely be #2,
though it could take some time.

Another (unfortunate) reality: some monitors, or some video cards, may
limit your screen resolution to the point where it may not be possible
to get the higher resolution.  Also, some security software may prevent
the resolution from being changed.