DMG compatibilty with browsers

James Richards jamesjrichards at lineone.net
Fri Dec 3 05:23:52 EST 2004

This automount behaviour can be toggled in Safari Preferences > General
which offers a checkbox option to 'Open "safe" files automatically' and
lists the kind of files it applies to. I think the default setting is
to open such files but obviously users might choose to reverse that, in
other words you can't count on the particular behaviour.

IE (5.2.3) by contrast only automatically (depending on preferences
set) handles MacBinary and BinHex files. I haven't tried this (I don't
use IE) but I guess if you assigned DiskUtility as a helper application
to DMG files then they might automount.

Regards

James
--