barcode scanner

Sarah Reichelt sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Wed Dec 1 18:17:32 EST 2004

>> I want  my  rev-application to collect  data from a  barcode scanner
>> in background .  In other words,  I want to use my PC (WIN-XP) with
>> other programs and at the same time I want  my application to collect
>> and save data from the barcode scanner. Is it possible?
>
> yes but the input has to be through something other than the normal
> keyboard interface. You'll need an alternate input stream and you'll
> need code to watch that input stream. The most common, but becoming
> obsolete quickly, is a serial interface. Then you have your app watch
> the serial interface and handle the data it receives. Beyond my
> abilities, I think Sarah has done much more work in this area.

There is a Serial test stack on my web site if you want to check out
Kee's suggestion.

Alternatively, can you check if any field has the focus and if so, pass
any keyDown or rawKeyDown, if not assume it is a barcode. You would
need to make sure that the focus left fields after they had been edited
or used, but I can't offer any suggestions on that without knowing your
setup.

Or (more manually) have a checkbox that the user clicks (preferably
with a keyboard shortcut) to toggle input from barcode scanner to
keyboard.

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au