stacks interacting over LAN? (newbie)

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Wed Dec 1 14:21:18 EST 2004

Dear Frank, Richard

You both raise valid concerns. However there is barelay a chance
getting someone to interrupt your communication. In fact, I have yet to
hear of such an attempt executed, anywhere (besides rumors about the US
government). While direct exploits of programmatically errors I have
heard of quite often.
The chatrev protocol is strict. The client ignores every malformed
message, the server disconnects you if you send wrong data. Of course I
can not guarantee the integrity of the underlying TCP/IP stack,  but
then who can? There is a certain degree of trust involved. Chatrev
users trust me, as I both "made" the protocol, and I do host the
server. I trust RunRev to deliver a secure internet expirience. They
trust the people that made the tcp implementation they use. And so on.
If you both are so concerned about the security of the Chatrev users,
why don't you join us in the chat, or try to dissect the protocol and
give us some security tips?

As for my mail it was in fact written too quickly and without much
thoughts about all the possible risks, even if I myself deem them
minor.

greetings
Bjoernke von Gierke

official ChatRev page: