Presenting successive file names in 'Open'

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Wed Dec 1 12:03:11 EST 2004

If the filenames are always sequential and in that format, you could do
something like this in a button (say, "Next File"):

on mouseUp
   put <the previous filename> into x
   put char 1 of x into aLetter
   put char 2 to 3 of x into aNumber

   add 1 to aNumber

   if aNumber is 100 then
     -- next letter
     put 0 into aNumber
   end if

   put aLetter & format("%02d", aNumber) into theNewFileName

   -- open the file
end mouseUp

Alternately, let the user pick the folder rather than the file, then do
something like this:

   -- get the list of files and put them in hidden field "fileList"
   sort lines of field "fileList"

   -- open the file listed on the first line of field "fileList"
   delete line 1 of field "fileList"

then for your "Next File" button:

on mouseUp
   -- open the file listed on the first line of field "fileList"
   delete line 1 of field "fileList"
   if field "fileList" is empty then disable me
end mouseUp