lessons from Java, OOP

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Wed Dec 1 05:13:51 EST 2004

Pierre,

Very insightful!

In your experience, is RunRev server side performance as good as Java?

cheers
---------------------=---------------------
Xavier Bury
Clearstream Services
TNS NT LAN Server
ext 36465
Voice: +352 4656 43 6465
Fax: +352 4656 493 6465

Pierre Sahores <psahores at easynet.fr>
Sent by: use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com
01.12.2004 10:56
Please respond to How to use Revolution

        To:     How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
        cc:     (bcc: Xavier Bury/CLEARSTREAM/GDB)
        Subject:        Re: lessons from Java, OOP

..

Le 30 nov. 04, à 23:43, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> Theory aside, the practical benefits of OOP involve productivity,
> through ease of maintenance and reuse.  For all of the talk of
> portable C++ objects over the years, few have materialized and very
> few are cross-platform.  That is, unless you adopt an entire
> framework, like CodeWarrior's PowerPlant or Apple's XCode, but then
> you're moving past a portable object and are talking about a
> generalized application foundation, which is a much bigger thing.
> Trying to reuse a single widget in C++ or Java often means pulling a
> long chain of superclasses along with it, so that what was described
> as a reusable object is really a large folder full of .c and .h files.
> ;)
>
> With Transcript, there are many practices which can help facilitate
> those practical benefits.  While they may not satisfy OOP purists,
> such folks are probably happily using Java anyway so we can ignore
> them and get back to our own productivity.

Because there is no way to get the Master of distribued application of
the Ecole Pratique des Hautes-Etudes Institute (Sorbonne University -
Paris, France), i worked, last year in coding some J2EE apps and
deployed them under the Tomcat (JSP) and JBoss (EJB2) platforms...

In my own humble idea, there is still nothing that can be deployed in
using a Revolution's application server that could be best coded and
deployed in using the Java 1.4 platform. To code "academically", apps
in Java 2, we need UML, 20 different frameworks (Eclipse or NetBeans
one side, Ant, CVS, XDoclet, SWT, Struts, Andromda, Hibernate,
JUnit,...) where we only need one framework (Rev) to go head with the
same kind of project in using our prefered XTalk.

About OOP, Rev is from ground build to let us design as we want : 100%
OOP or, best in my mind 50% OOP / 50% functionnal. In Java, we have no
choice : 100% OOP only and only one hierarchical heritance way is
available (from bottom to top) where Transcript let us free to design
all the heritances we need (bottom-top, transversal messages beerwin
handler and stacks, start using, send message) + the ability to use
recursivity procs and functions...

To the end, the Java deployed apps are build by teams, running from 20
to 60 times slower than the Revolution 2.5 one and can't be coded at
once and deployed anywhere.

Anyone is free to choose Java instead of XTalk to code great networked
apps but we have to understand and remember that Revolution is still
the perfect tool to let us code in days and weeks ALL what can be build
and deployed in weeks and months in using the J2EE platform. In
opposition, there is no issues to code in Java all what can be coded in
Transcript.

In my mind, Java lacks in some critical aera, alike the client-side
security of the connected apps or alike the ways the SQL back-ends are
binded to the application's servers.

In my mind, Java is a little outdated but, because marketing and
ideology, it seems mainly a more usefull language than it is in
reality.

It's my job to build critical networked apps with tousands of
write-mode connections peer second. My customers don't care about what
languages i'm using to delivry to them the apps they are paying for.
They just remember that the delivred apps are always working as
expected, for years...

Perhaps is Java - mainly - a bureaucratic and ideologic development
paradigm, perhaps ;-)...

> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation
>  Developer of WebMerge: Publish any database on any Web site

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores+ at +easynet.fr
sc+ at +sahores-conseil.com

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:      +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:      +33 1 64 45 05 33

<http://www.sahores-conseil.com/>

WEB/EAI services & ACID DB over IP
"Mutualiser les deltas de productivité"

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com
IMPORTANT MESSAGE    Internet communications are not secure and therefore
Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.    The information contained in this e-mail is
confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the
addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its
affiliates or subsidiaries.    END OF DISCLAIMER