barcode scanner

Jim Bufalini yoursignup at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 06:53:11 EST 2004

Many years ago I developed a system that collected
data from a large number
of barcode readers, as well as, other electronic
systems. Most barcode
readers then transmitted serially and could attach a
prefix and postfix to
the scan. We attached the individual readers to MUXs
and the MUXs to a large
serial switch (actually bank of serial switches). The
serial switch had
memory (most do). This then goes, of course,
attachesto one serial port on
the computer.

So, depending on the nature of your app, you can then
either let the reads
accumulate in the switch and have your program poll
the serial port when
your application is ready, or set up your program to
be interrupt or event
driven by the serial port. Use the prefix and postfix
feature of the barcode
readers to parse your stream.

Jim Bufalini