db connection

Hershel Fisch hershrev at realtorsgroup.us
Tue Aug 31 19:33:31 EDT 2004

>>> 2) If this is the case then why is the err , invalid database type.
>>
>> To see if postgres is running normally lauch the activity monitor app
>> and search the postgres thread. To see if the "postgres" user is
>> rightly set, test "su - postgres" at the shell prompt and, then if
>> you are prompted for the password, type "postgres". If something goes
>> wrong, postgres need to be reinstalled (prefer the Marc Liyanage's
>> installer -- <http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/>).
> Sorry , don't know what and where the activity monitor is.
> The su - postgres is ok.
> And I did use entropy's installation.

[Hershel-Fischs-Computer:~] hershel% su - postgres
Password:
[Hershel-Fischs-Computer:~] postgres% /usr/local/bin/pg_ctl stop -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data/
waiting for postmaster to shut down......done
postmaster successfully shut down
[Hershel-Fischs-Computer:~] postgres% /usr/local/bin/postmaster -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data -i
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2004-08-31 19:11:05 EDT
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/C1E4D0
LOG:  redo record is at 0/C1E4D0; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG:  next transaction id: 6911; next oid: 19457
LOG:  database system is ready