Table Object in 2.5RC1

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Sat Aug 28 15:45:15 EDT 2004

There's a world of improvement in the table object (compared to 2.2).
However, there's strange behavior and a serious lack of controls that still
render it useless:

Tab'ing or return'ing (or right-/down-arrowing, respectively) ADDS cells to
the grid. While these are the correct keys for navigation, that ruins the
grid (and, therefore, ruins the data contained therein). There absolutely
needs to be the ability to specify the grid-size as properties (x rows high
by x columns wide). Transcript code needs to be available to expand and
contract the grid on the fly.

"returnInField" is non-functional in this object so I can't trap for the
keystroke. How would I even know where the active cell is even if I could
trap for a "return" at the bottom of my grid (to prevent add'l rows from
being generated)?

Bug: Enter text into the grid using the Contents tab of the Inspector. That
text is displayed in the grid but is ignored (and not displayed) when the
cell becomes active. Entering text in that cell overwrites the original text
(which is expected). So either the Content tab in that object has a
disconnect with Browse mode or that tab shouldn't be there and was included
erroneously.

Frankly, I'm at a loss to understand the purpose of this object except as a
"look but don't touch" display of data. If that is its purpose, why provide
any Browse mode editing capabilities at all?

What's wrong with the RB grid object? I know it wasn't invented at Rev but
why can't its functionality simply be copied? It has the required feature
set down pat; there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

I'll file an "enhancement" Bugzilla report as this object obviously has no
real feature set to which one might direct a "bug" report as something being
"wrong"; it's features are all just missing.

Regards,
Barry