Windows printing

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Aug 28 13:21:08 EDT 2004

I'm getting some weird and frustrating results when printing on Windows
XP. I have a report that collects data and places it into two fields on
a card in a printing stack. The two fields are next to each other, both
are the length of the printing stack, and they simulate a 2-column
printout. On screen it looks fine. The printing stack has its
formatForPrinting set to true.

My script fills both fields, prints the card, prints a break, then
repeats until the data is gone.

Depending partly on the font I use and partly on something I can't
imagine, printouts are scrambled. Sometimes only one word prints per
line, which makes Windows think a 7 page printout is about 1200 pages.
Other times only hex gibberish is printed. Other times, the bottom third
of the page is left empty and then a blank page prints instead after
every printed one (i.e., two-thirds of page 1 prints, the a blank sheet,
then two-thirds of page 2 prints, then a blank sheet, etc.)

We have tried different printer drivers with various results, but none
of them are entirely correct.

This is making me crazy. Does anyone have suggestions? I know I could
probably format the pages in html and print from a web browser but we
don't want to.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com