Documentation in 2.5

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Fri Aug 27 19:18:22 EDT 2004

On Aug 27, 2004, at 6:45 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> But I'd like to be contrary for a moment here (yeah, I know...big
> shock, right?) and ask why documentation was "fixed" for 2.5 when as
> far as I was concerned it was never broken in 2.2. In fact, it is all
> but unusable for the kinds of things I use the online docs for in 2.5.

Well, there was a lot of demand for an updated approach to the docs,
though the content was considered excellent. A single-window design was
high on the request list.

As you can see, the docs have a lot of new features built-in, and take
advantage of a lot of the new features that Revolution offers... XML,
etc.

It seems all this updating comes with a price-tag though... performance
doesn't begin to compare, and the search functionality seems less
accurate than before... which was far from the best feature to begin
with. All in all, it seems that we've traded one set of inefficiencies
for a different set of inefficiencies.

I'm not going to let it stop me from using 2.5, since at least the docs
no longer freeze Rev, but I'm sincerely hoping that the decision is
made to use the XML as only an authoring-time tool, but have the doc's
data be based on stacks and cards rather than raw XML, which they
currently seem to be. Using the native database qualities of Revolution
should bring us back the speed and search functionality we enjoyed
previously, while still wrapped in the sexy new package.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.