Launch with non-file argument(s)

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Fri Aug 27 16:36:23 EDT 2004

Any way to launch an app with an argument which is *not* a filename,
and not block?

I can get this to work with the shell function, except that it is
blocking (the stack stalls until the other app quits), which is not
acceptable.

I tried to get this to work with the launch statement, except that it
complains that the document does not exist.

I need this to work cross-platform (I could, of course, have separate
cases for different platforms -- that doesn't bother me if it works;
It looks like "start" might be used under Windows?  What about OS X and
*NIX?).

Signup at www.doteasy.com