writing an OS X package from a custom property

Scott Morrow scott at elementarysoftware.com
Wed Aug 25 21:22:05 EDT 2004

What I would like to do is store an OS X package (osax scripting
addition) as a custom property in my application so that I can install
it later onto the user's machine if they require it.  In order to load
the package I've tried the usual:

on mouseUp
   answer file "Select a file:"
   if it is empty then exit to top
   put it into tFile
   put URL("binfile:"&tFile) into tData
   put compress(tData) into tData
   set the uOSAX of stack "tester" to tData
end mouseUp

the result of trying to read the package is: < error reading file >

I've tried some less orthodox  methods of getting the package into the
custom property as well but whatever I store invariably gets written
out again as a file rather than a package.

Rev 2.1.2  /  OS X 10.3.5  /  G5
-Scott Morrow
Elementary Software